This quick, easy and instant pickle is a combination of sweet and sour taste. It goes very well with parathas/theplas . And the best part of the dish is that prepare it once and you can enjoy it for the next few days with your meal, it just enhance the taste of simple food. I always make this whenever green mangoes are in season.
1 cup Green Mango peeled and cubed
1 cup Sugar or jaggery
3 tbsp Oil
1 tbsp Salt
2 tbsp Red chili powder
2 tbsp Fennel (sauf) powder (coarsely crushed)
1 tbsp Crushed mustard seeds (rai)
3 tbsp Coriander powder
1 tbsp Nigella seeds (kalaunji)
1/4 cup (approx.) water
1) Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan or kadhai.
2) Once the oil is hot, add in the cubed mango and let them cook on medium flame for about 5-7 minutes. Stir occasionally in between.
3) When the mangoes are half way cooked, add in water and let it cook for more 2-3 minutes. (Amount of water depends on what consistency you need for the launji)
4) Now add all the spices , sugar (or jaggery) and mix well.
5) Cook it on medium flame until mangoes are properly cooked.
6) Once all the mangoes are soft and tender, the sweet mango pickle is ready.
7) Cool it for few hours and it is ready to eat.
8) Once its completely cool, we can store it in an air tight container in refrigerator for 10-15 days.
Note: Choose a good green mango and you can adjust the amount of sugar according to the sourness of the mango.